3 Big Problems with Describing Emotions, LINKS & an Update

Hi everyone! A few neat things going on, so I just wanted to touch base and toss a few links your way. First up, you can find me over at Romance University, talking about Emotional Description: 3 Common Problems with Show & Tell. If critique feedback indicates you "tell" the reader your character's emotions, or you show too much of them, or do both at once, this is the article for you!

Second, You may remember an older series called The Seven Deadly Sins Of Novel Writing. Well, for whatever reason, it went viral this week on Tumblr, so I thought I'd post again in case any readers missed it when it originally aired:

SIN #1: Low Stakes

SIN # 2: Counterfeit Characters  

SIN # 3: Missing the Mark on Voice & POV

SIN #4: Plot Snafus

SIN #5: Flat Wordsmithing

SIN #6: Dialogue Disaster

SIN #7: Too Much Information

BONUS SIN: Disappointing The Reader

Finally, we are creeping ever closer to being able to give you a release date for The Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Character Flaws and The Trait Thesaurus: A Writer's Guide To Positive Character Attributes. Covers are being made, editing is well underway and right now it is looking like September will be the magic month. As we did with The Emotion Thesaurus, we'll be giving a "sneak peek" of the Flaw Thesaurus in the very next Newsletter, so if you haven't subscribed, here's the LINK!

Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend! 

14 comments:

Jemi Fraser said...

You've been SO busy! Glad the books are almost ready! :)

Dawn Malone said...

So looking forward to your new books!

mshatch said...

I have The Emotional Thesaurus and am looking forward to your next :)

kittyb78 said...

Awesome post! Can't wait for the two new books. And yay! That's my Birthday month. Two more awesome reasons to look forward to it. :)
bidelia78@yahoo.com

Rosi said...

Very exciting time. Congrats on getting the new books out so soon.

Andria Lonye said...

I just finished reading all 7 deadly sins plus the bonus sin. I must say, very informative. It really got me thinking about my own work and what I can do to improve it. I've also taken on the daunting task of editing the novel of another writer who is in need of A LOT of guidance. This really zeroed in on some mistakes she is making in her novel and helped me pinpoint them so I can help her better. I'm also starting my first blog...similar to what you have here. I've only got one post so far, but seeing what you do for your readers is like a breath of fresh air. It points me in the direction of what I should be doing for my readers. Anyways, thanks for an awesome series. If you have the time, check out my humble little blog as well. www.eclecticverb.com

cleemckenziebooks said...

How great that you went viral on Tumblr! Fantastic.

Donna K. Weaver said...

Woot! I'm so excited for this new resource. You guys rock it!

And no. I'm not saying you blow into the sky. ;)

Angela Ackerman said...

Thanks everyone--we are excited too. This has been a long project, one that required a lot of research, and we hope we've done it justice for all of you. Always becca and I want to do right by you all. :)

Andria, so glad you found your way here and that you enjoyed the blog series. I think I could have done ten or 20 sins, lol. Still, these are some of the biggest, aren't they?

Becca Puglisi said...

Thank you everyone! So many good things are happening right now, and we're so excited about the release of these next 2 books.

Karen Clayton said...

Books sound useful. Looking forward to them. The post was great too. I'll have to get my 13 year old co-author to read through those sins. We are always trying to improve our craft.

Karen Lange said...

Looking forward to the next book! :)

LD Masterson said...

I hadn't seen the Seven Deadly Sins series. Thanks so much for posting the links.

Leslie S. Rose said...

I am definitely tucking in to these links. Can't wait for the "Trait" duo.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...