Repeat Gesturing: 3 Tips For Stronger Body Language

This past weekend I attended When Words Collide and gave my first official author presentation on Showing Emotion Through Nonverbal Communication (Body Language, Visceral Responses and Thoughts). The turnout was amazing--a full house. Every chair was taken and people had to stand along the wall or sit on the floor (and they did. Ahh! I love writers!)

I will admit to being nervous (really, really nervous). I may or may not have actually practiced the entire slideshow presentation in my car beforehand (sorry to those people packing up their car at the hotel--I know you thought a crazy lady had parked next to you, talking and gesturing to herself). But here's the deal, it was awesome. I loved presenting, and I love this topic of body language. It was a blast to be in a room full of writers who all struggled in this area, and to (hopefully) provide some good ideas on how to get past those emotion-showing struggles.

I also gave a workshop on Blogging and Platform as well, and moderated a panel for Self Promotion Do's and Don'ts which allowed me to work with some very savvy social media people. The organizers put on a fantastic event, and I recommend it to anyone living in Calgary and area. You can't beat the price either: $65 dollars for a three day event, including a bookstore filled with tables and tables of delicious stories to devour. The Emotion Thesaurus was there as well, and completely sold out!

The best part of the weekend, however? Meeting some of you! I ran into quite a few Musers, and what an honor. It's always such a treat to connect with people in the real world that you interact with online. So many of the writers  who visit us at The Bookshelf Muse live in the US, so it's so nice to also discover writers right in my own backyard here in Canada.

One of the thing I touched on in my presentation is repeat gesturing, and the techniques we can use to dig deeper and create unique, fresh description for emotion instead. I am thrilled to be at New York Times Best Selling Author Cynthia Leitich Smith's blog today, discussing these same tips! So if you missed the conference, swing on by and check them out...and meet my dog Sasha while you're at it!

Did I mention there's a copy of The Emotion Thesaurus up for grabs, too? See you there!

12 comments:

Porky said...

I love the setup in that photo. On the face of it, it's a comfy spot and easy to imagine how it feels to be sunning there, but the shaft of light seems almost to be a leash, or maybe something weirder, more eldritch or extraterrestrial.

Bish Denham said...

Congratulations on your first presentation. I'm so happy you had a good time and that you love doing. I strongly believe you are a natural teacher.

Paige said...

I really appreciated your guest post on Cynthia's blog. I'm looking forward to reading your book. It will be so helpful to me. Thanks!

E. Arroyo said...

OMG I'm so happy for you. I have my copy already.

cleemckenzie said...

You were spectacular! I have no doubt. Wish I could have been there. Here's to more of those wildly successful presentations.




Angela Ackerman said...

Porky, thanks! She tends to follow the sunbeams around the room, lol, but her favorite spot is on the chaise here.

Bish you are so sweet! I have no idea if I am or not but I think I faked it pretty good, lol. :)

Paige, thanks so much for the visit! I hope the ET becomes a great tool for you as you write. :)

E, You are awesome! I swear my heart is so full, knowing all the people cheering Becca and I on. :)

Lee, thanks! I appreciate the well wishes!

Happy writing all--thanks for celebrating my small success--it means a lot to know you guys are in my corner. :)

Angela

Linda A. said...

What a great workshop and what a bargain. I wish I could have attended!

Much continued success to you with many future books and workshops.

Candice said...

Seriously? You were nervous?

I never would have guessed - you sounded like you do that all the time. Very well presented and lots of great information.

And I bought the second last copy of the Thesaurus!

Angela Ackerman said...

Thank you so much, Linda!

Candice, I'm so glad I didn't let my jitters affect the presentation. I think it was because I admire the heck out of writers and just really wanted to bring good content. So thank you for the comment--this makes me feel great! And YAY for you getting a copy--thank you and I hope it helps you a ton. I was thrilled to find out every book went to a good home! :)

Angela

james atel said...


its such a nice blog to provides info
hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you’re talking about. Can’t wait to read more from you!
for more plz visit
debt management Plan debt management Plan

E.B. Black said...

I wish I had been able to attend all of that! They are all topics I'm very interested in and could learn more in.

Cynthia Chapman Willis said...

I wish I could have been there! I bet you were amazing. Well, at least I can stop by Cynthia Leitich Smith's blog--and also meet Sasha. : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...