Connecting With Creatives

Hi everyone, there's two great things I want to mention today. The first is that my friend Elana Johnson's new book Surrender has hit the shelves! I'm incredibly excited for her, because she's a great person and strong force of good in the Writing Community. Too, she's worked incredibly hard to create a companion book to Possession that keeps us in Vi's world but shows us something new and fresh through the eyes of two new characters, Raine and Gunner.

Raine has always been a good girl. She lives by the rules in Freedom. After all, they are her father's rules: He's the Director. It's because of him that Raine is willing to use her talent--a power so dangerous, no one else is allowed to know about it. Not even her roommate, Vi.

All of that changes when Raine falls for Gunner. Raine’s got every reason in the world to stay away from Gunn, but she just can’t. Especially when she discovers his connection to Vi’s boyfriend, Zenn. Raine has never known anyone as heavily brainwashed as Vi. Raine’s father expects her to spy on Vi and report back to him. But Raine is beginning to wonder what Vi knows that her father is so anxious to keep hidden, and what might happen if she helps Vi remember it. She’s even starting to suspect Vi’s secrets might involve Freedom’s newest prisoner, the rebel Jag Barque....

I love the irony of a city named Freedom in a world where everything is controlled--brilliant. Anyway, slide on over to Elana's blog to see all the awesome release stuff going on (you can read the first 100 pages free!), and add her book to Goodreads if you'd like!

The second big news I want to share is WANA INTERNATIONAL. Many of you know Kristen Lamb, and how she is amazingly adept at understanding and forecasting the twists and turns of Social Media, and how it best can benefit artists without sucking away every drop of time and creativity. Well, with WANA INTERNATIONAL, she's and her business partner Ingrid Schaffenburg, are embracing the vision of having one place for all creatives to gather for support, friendship, knowledge sharing and collaboration.

Meet Francis, WANA's Mascot
WANA’s Mission:

WANA is seeking to fill a vacuum. We were inspired by the movie “Midnight in Paris.” We found ourselves longing for a time when creative people—ALL types of creative people—could all hang out, talk, chat, brainstorm, help each other, etc. 

One of the things that bothers me about social media is that I see a lot of inbreeding. Writers talk all to writers about writing and that is good, but after time it stagnates. No new blood and no new ideas. Thus, WANA will solve this problem. —Kristen Lamb

I don't know about you, but I think there is so much to be inspired by in this world. Each day we see collaborations take place between Technology & Environmentalists, between Google and NASA and the result is a fresh perspective, and incredible results. 

What might happen if writers did the same? What if they reached beyond the writing community to meld withe the talents and ideas of other creative disciplines? If you're interested in seeing how this question is answered, check it out. WANA will offer many opportunities, including a large education component. There's also a Ning site for socializing and to better aid collaboration as well. You can find me there as well.

Becca and I hope to teach a few webinars in the not-so-distant future at WANA, so look for us there in the coming months. :) 

19 comments:

E.J. Wesley said...

Love that you mentioned being inspired by NASA and technology. (Knew I couldn't be the only nerd writer on the planet! :)

You're right, we should intermingle with other creatives more. I try to follow artists (comic book and graphic) and performance art folks as much as I can. Many times those are the folks who inspire my words.

Angela Ackerman said...

E.J., isn't it incredible the things that can be accomplished when we work together? Things go from impossible to possible! Sounds like you're already on the right track for inspiration. I get so much from movies...I think a part of me wished I'd tried screenwriting. :)

KarenG said...

All the best to Elana and to Kristen Lamb's new endeavor. I love to see this kind of cool stuff happening online!

Patti said...

I'm headed over to check out WANA International. Sounds very intriguing. It's amazing what people come up with.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Wishing Elana and Kristen good luck with their endeavours.

Christina Lee said...

Yay Elana and Kristen!!!!!

And zomg, right now I am reading SURRENDER and it is SO GOOD! Get it, read it!!:-)))))

lbdiamond said...

Yay, Elana! and Yay for WANA!!!! :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Surrender is certainly making the rounds about the blogosphere! :)

WANA sounds like an interesting site. Thanks for the link.

Becca Puglisi said...

Soooo excited about Surrender and WANA! And Francis the peacock is too cute.

Bish Denham said...

Yeah Elana! WANA is new to me, sounds VERY interesting.

Lena said...

I think most of us will agree about the inspirations that come from the world. Many congratulations and best wishes to Elana and Kristen.

Natalie Aguirre said...

So excited for Elana's release of her book. And thanks for sharing about Kristen's new venture.

Jemi Fraser said...

LOVED Elana's book - so very, very good! :)

WANA sounds mighty interesting!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Got to introduce my granddaughter to Elana at a local book signing. It was so fun. Elana's just awesome, and my daughter really enjoyed listening to her share some information about her writing style.

Marcia said...

Congrats to Elana!

I think you're so right about inbreeding. Forming a community where people actually know each other a bit is good, but it shouldn't stagnate either. So many people have such marvelous ideas -- and are willing to put work into them.

Traci Kenworth said...

I, too, try to follow creatives and more importantly, learn as much as I can from them. Good luck to Elana!! Good to see Kristen and Ingrid featured too.

Angela Orlowski-Peart said...

Congratulations, Elana.

WANA is amazing and I am very excited to be a part of it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,
I'm fairly new to your blog. I love that you've mentioned WANAtribe!! Kristen is amazingly insightful and forward-thinking, and I really dig her and Ingrid's idea of emulating the Paris Salon archetype in this day & age. Isn't it great?!!! :-)
Yvette Carol

Leslie S. Rose said...

WANA is a super idea. I'm halfway through SURRENDER. I probably won't be going to sleep until very late tonight finishing it. It's awesome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...