LENNY-LEE FEST!

There are many, many amazing people out there who I have met through blogging, but one of the most spectacular has to be Lenny Lee of Lenny's World. Lenny's an 11-year-old writer who is both encouraging and admirable, and has amazing strength and courage. He views each day as an opportunity to learn and grow, and I love that about him! Lenny has figured out things about writing that boggles my mind, a clear indication that he will one day be a force to be reckoned with when he becomes a career writer. (Remember, you heard it here first, world! Lenny will be Famous!!)

With such an incredible zest for life, Lenny could be hanging out with any crowd of folks on the net, so I feel especially lucky he's chosen us writers to share his sunny spirit with. So, we've gotten together and dubbed today LENNY FEST, showing our admiration for this great guy. I hope each of you will head over to Lenny's World to grab a bit of his sunshine for yourself!

To show my appreciation for Lenny and all he gives to others through his uplifting blog and bright personality, I'm sharing one of the first stories I ever wrote & tried to get published. I have resisted the urge to edit it because I want Lenny to know how much I admire his journey to become a stronger writer. We all started from somewhere, didn't we? Anyway, I hope you like it, Lenny. I can't think of anyone I would rather dedicate this story to. 


My Pet Human
By
Angela Ackerman (2004)


     Ever since I was a puppy, I’ve wanted a human of my very own. When I was finally old enough and ready for the challenge, I decided it was time to select out a human pet.
     Picking out a human isn’t easy. They come in all shapes and sizes.
     I didn’t want one too young. They can be loud, drool all over everything, and are hard to look after. Besides - they aren’t toilet trained!
     I didn’t want one that was too old either. They don’t want to play very much and might not hear me when I call them.
     I sat patiently at the Pet Store, waiting for the right human to come along. At last I saw him. He was perfect - not too young, not too old. He looked like he would be easy to care for. He had a nice smile and was a great ear scratcher.
     When we got home, I knew it was important to start his training right away. I needed to show him who was in charge. After all, this human is my pet, not the other way around!
     First, I let my human know that some places were off limits. I set aside a cozy chair for him to lounge on. This was his spot. He needed to stay off of everything else. The last thing I wanted was to have human hair all over my furniture.
     It’s important that my human learns good behavior, too. Fooling around and being loud is okay some of the time, but there’s a time and place for it. I like to enjoy my quiet time with no interruptions.
     At night, I let him sleep on the bed with me. Most owners don’t let their pets sleep with them. I hope my human appreciates how lucky he is. He sleeps at the edge of the bed. I need to be in the middle if I want to get a good night’s sleep.
     Exercise is necessary for my pet to stay healthy. I take him out for long walks, using a collar and leash. Wearing them is uncomfortable, but it works well to keep my human from running off.
     We have a great time together - he is very well behaved for a human. When it is time to reward him for being good, I put my head on his lap and let him scratch my ears. He talks to me and rubs my tummy. When I wag my tail, it seems to make him happy. Humans are very easy to please.
     Having a human for a pet makes me feel complete. I am very happy with my choice. He makes a wonderful companion. A dog with a human by his side is just the way it’s supposed to be.

Well, that's my story. I hope you enjoyed it, Lenny! Thanks so much for being a bright spot in the blogosphere. :)

31 comments:

Trisha said...

Thanks for the link to Lenny! Yay for alliteration! hehe. seriously now, one of the things I love most about the blogging community is how much the friendships people form mean to them. It's just a great thing to see!

Alyssia said...

Thanks so much for this, Angela. Truly, reading Lenny's blog this morning just made my day. What a wonderful little person, and to see he's a young writer, diligently pursuing his craft, rejecting those nasty rejections, learning how to hone his characters, etc... what an inspiration!! We all need this ray of sunshine every now and again, don't we? Perhaps a lot more than we're willing to admit.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Sherlyn said...

I will surely visit Lenny's blog . Have you met him in person? Coming to your story I must say it is a very well thought and out of the box kinda story ! Pet dogs can be really loyal and best company to have when one is alone.
Ideal Pet
What do you have to say about your pet?
http://www.3smartcubes.com/pages/tests/ideal_pet/ideal_pet_instructions.asp

Candyland said...

This is a great story! So cute! Lenny will love this!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Cute story, Angela. :D

Melissa said...

Ha! I enjoyed your story of a dog selecting a human for a pet. Cute and creative!

I've added Lenny's blog to my Google Reader. :-D

Kelly said...

What a cute premise for a story!
And hurray for smiles, sunshine, and Lenny!

Matthew MacNish said...

This is beyond words, Angela. What a special thing to share with Lenny.

Hi Lenny!

Sarah said...

Adorable! What a cute little story!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Lenny will love your story, Angela! Very cute!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

This is precious, Angela. I know Lenny is going to love it--what a special treat! Who doesn't love a good puppy story?! :-)

Angela Felsted said...

Ah, this is so sweet!

Connie Arnold said...

What a cute story! I'm sure Lenny will enjoy it!

Lola Sharp said...

Aw, love this. (and I think they do choose us...or at least make us their butlers ;)

We love you Lenny!

Happy sunshiny weekend, Angela.
Hugs,
Lola

Angela Ackerman said...

Thanks everyone for your comments and visits to Lenny! He's an amazing person--one of those rare people with a spark so bright he affects everyone around him. I hope he knows now just how much he means to others!

Angela

Hilary Wagner said...

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, Angela! I'm so glad we all got to be part of Lenny's day!

xoxo -- Hilary

Susanne Drazic said...

Cute story. I know Lenny will enjoy reading it. He is an AWESOME young man! Happy Lenny Lee Fest!

Laura Marcella said...

Awww, love it! Lenny and I share the same birthday. He certainly is a beaming ray of sunshine in the blogosphere!

Theresa Milstein said...

Ha! You had me laughing because it's so true. Lenny will get a laugh out of this one, I'm sure.

My favorite was the part about the bed.

alaw said...

I like your story. :)

Becca Puglisi said...

Lenny is such a beautiful person. I hope he's blessed by your first story. And Angela, you are almost as brave as him for posting it. Although, I must say, it's pretty good for a first!

Becca

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Awesome! What could be better for Lenny than a story from the POV of the pet? Perfect. :)

Robyn Campbell said...

Great job, Angela! Love the POV idea, my friend. You did an awesome job and Lenny will for sure love this. (((hugs)))

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Oh, so cute! Lenny will love this! Establishing limits for the human ... don't want his hair all over ... Made me laugh! :D

Len L said...

Thanks for sharing this with us, Angela. I'm sure Lenny will enjoy reading this too! :)

Carolyn V said...

I agree, I think Lenny will love this! Thanks for sharing Angela!

Jeff King said...

Lenny is awesome and an inspiration, and I see he is getting a lot of (well deserved) love around the blogosphere.

Susan Fields said...

This made me laugh! My favorite part: "I set aside a cozy chair for him to lounge on. This was his spot." I can totally imagine my dog thinks the same thing about me!

Thanks so much for sharing, and hooray for Lenny!

Katrina S. Forest said...

That was awesome to read. I think the first thing I tried to publish was a poem sent to Highlights. The very first story I wrote was entitled, "The Prettiest Flower," penned at age four on construction paper. My awesome mom still has it.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

What a cute story! Gonna go visit Lenny's blog right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Solvang Sherrie said...

What a fun story! I always wonder what my pets, er, owners, think of us :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...