Change, Transitions & My Granny

First off, HOLY RUBBER COWS! Would you look at all the new followers? I know you can't see it, but I am waving enthusiastically from my side of the screen. Welcome to our corner of the net, and as always, thanks so much to all our Musers who mention us to writer friends and link to our blog. You are all Baconsauce, seriously.

As the title indicates, change is a'coming, people! In a few short weeks, Becca and I will be unveiling one (or possibly two?) NEW Thesaurus Collections. We hope you will find them as useful as all the other descriptive resources in the sidebar.

Speaking of Thesaurus Collections, so many of you have been avid readers and proponents of seeing the Emotion Thesaurus in book format, and we want you to know we're working hard on that. We appreciate all your support, and we hope you'll continue to recommend our site to others as in our case, platform will be key to obtaining a home for an enhanced, extended version of the Emotion Thesaurus.

And, also to do with change, I'm guest posting over at Robyn Lucas's blog on TRANSITIONS. I know they can be a struggle to master, but they are extremely important to both flow and the reader's connection to the story. So, if this is an area of growth for you, check it out!

Me, my bro & granny
Finally, I want to post a teensy bit about my granny. I don't often write about stuff not related to writing, but my grandmother recently passed away, and I want people to know how awesome she was. First off, she totally 'got' my strangeness. I mean sure, she'd shake her head and tut at a lot of stuff I'd do. Like when I stuck a plastic spider to the honey on the spoon in my aunt's coffee cup for instance. Or when I'd ask her on the phone if she's been keeping herself out of jail. Or if I purposely said the word 'fart' instead of 'fluff' (she was a fluff kind of grandma--good and proper). I'll miss her smiling and shaking her head, saying, Oh, Angela, Angela, Angela.

Growing up, my grandma loved to cook for us. On the farm, she'd bring us jugs of Koolaid as we picked roots in the fields, and on visits to her house, we wouldn't even have a chance to sit down before a parade of cookies, squares, cheese and crackers, sandwiches and jello w/bananas graced the table. We learned to never eat before coming, because you just couldn't say no to her, lol. She'd just tell us, "Go on, don't be afraid to eat!" She was a card player too, and rummy was her game. Not that she ever won much...she was too busy making sure us grand kids had every opportunity to lay down the final card.

So that's a bit about my granny, a special lady. She taught me a lot about living and loving life. I just wanted to share a piece of her so you'd know her a little too. :)

Have a great weekend, everyone!

37 comments:

salarsenッ said...

Precious photo. My sympathies about your grandmother.

And I do appreciate all your effort with your collection of Thesaurus' and this blog. Wonderful job!

Enjoy your weekend.

Laura Pauling said...

Okay, got my tears in for the morning! Sorry to hear about your grandmothers, sounds like she was wonderful. And sounds like you and Becca are cooking up some great stuff!

Adventures in Children's Publishing said...

Angela, our thoughts are with you during such a difficult time. I think it's wonderful that you enjoyed a good relationship with your grandmother. Mine is practically like a mother to me and I pray each day that her good health continues. On a positive note, we are NOT surprised you're picking up followers. What's not to love? :)

Marissa

Lindsay N. Currie said...

This was a lovely post Angela and I'm so sorry to hear you lost your grandmother. It sounds like she holds a very special place in your heart.

Jamie Grey said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Angela. She sounds like an amazing woman, thank you for sharing her with us!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I can't wait to see what the new thesaurses are. I already live on this site 24/7. Now I'll have two more reason to.

What a wonderful story about your grandmother. *hugs*

Bish Denham said...

Oh Angela...So sorry for your loss. I can see from the picture there is a strong resemblance, so you will carry her with you always. That she got your strangeness means she might have been a bit strange herself on some level. Cry and laugh when you feel like it as you remember your Granny.

Hugs,
Bish

EEV said...

Hi Angela!

I am sorry for your loss, but Grandma brought so much happiness with her that sure she still very much alive in many people's memories and hearts! I miss my Grandpa also... But I believe wherever he is, he's looking after me. :)

erica m. chapman said...

Aww, your Granny sounded so sweet. My Grandma always shoves food down my throat! She made my hubs eat an orange once, he hates oranges. But she has that way...

I'm sorry to hear about yours passing. *hugs* Sounds like you have a lot of great memories to remember her ;o)

~Sia McKye~ said...

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your grandmother.

What a wonderful commentary on your Granny, Angela! Through your eyes of love, she here and in your heart she will, always sparkle. I love the shot of the three of you. What fun time you were having here and I love the grins!

Angela Ackerman said...

Aw, you guys. Thanks for all the kind, supportive words. I really appreciate it, and it sure brightened my morning to wake up to all these comments. My grandmother was wonderful, and I lived right next door to her growing up, so we were very, very close. It's hard to let her go, even though I know her spirit will be with me always.

Hugs to all of you,

Ange

Kristi Helvig said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your grandmother. That's a great picture of you with her, and it sounds like you have amazing memories you'll always treasure. *hugs*

Talli Roland said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother -- this is a wonderful tribute to her. She sounds wonderful!

Fluid Idleness said...

I love her smile. She sounds like an awesome lady.

Lisa Gail Green said...

Your grandma sounds like she was one fantastic lady! A special kind of woman that understood what was important in life. :D And "I'd ask her on the phone if she's been keeping herself out of jail"? <-- That's just awesome.

Julie Musil said...

Angela, I'm so glad you posted such fun tidbits about granny. The bit about the bananas in the Jello brought back memories of my own grandma. Your sounds like she was quite a special lady.

And I'm so happy to hear you guys are putting your excellent posts in book format. Wow. Yes, count on me to get the word out because what you guys do here is awesome.

Bluestocking said...

A Thesaurus book would be awesome. So glad you ladies have worked so hard on this concept!

Robin_Lucas said...

Sorry to hear about your loss, Angela. Your grandma looks like she certainly had tons of spirit!

((((hugs))))

Andrea Mack said...

Angela, I'm sorry to hear about your granny. It sounds like you have some lovely memories to cherish.

I'm excited to here that your emotion thesaurus might become a book! I'm a big fan and I mention it every chance I get. It's helped me get past a few sticky bits in my writing.

Susanne Drazic said...

Thanks for sharing about your grandma. She sounds like she was a wonderful person. Enjoy the memories you have of her.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I'm sorry you lost your wonderful grandmother, Angela. (()) It's lovely of you to post about her place in your life.

Holly Ruggiero said...

I’m sorry for you loss and my prayers are with you.

In other post news, you have my curiosity peaked. I’m curious what the new thesaurus will be.

Kelly said...

Hugs to you on the loss of your grandma, Angela. Grandmas are special people, and your anecdotes about her made me smile (and reminded me a bit of my own.)

Owllady said...

Angela, so sorry to hear about your grandma. From my mother's mother, I gained a deep love of gardening, for which I will be forever grateful. Grandmas are treasures. My best to you and your family.

And, I'm looking forward to the Thesaurus changes =)

~Owlie

Jeigh said...

I'm sorry for your loss, but what wonderful stories you have to remember her by!

Excited for the new stuff! Thanks again for all your hard work, both of you!

Steena Holmes said...

the resourses here are phenomenal. And your granny seems like a special lady - thank you for sharing her with us :)

Becca Puglisi said...

I lost both of my grannies before I was 15, so I envy you your relationship. Cherish those memories.

On a much more frivolous note, your tan makes me sick. *says the pasty white Florida girl*

Angela Ackerman said...

Wow, again, thanks everyone for all the encouraging comments and nice grandmotherly things! I know my grandma would love reading these...she might even forgive me for writing 'fart' in a post that is seen all over the world. LOL!

Angela

L.J. Boldyrev said...

Thank you for sharing, Angela. My condolences. She sounds like a fabulous woman.
Can't wait to see the new project(s)!

Sheri Fredricks said...

Hi Angela~~ Like Becca, I lost my Granny at a young age and never met my maternal grandma. I love the tribute you gave her, so heartfelt and full of your love. The picture is perfect and your brother - tsk! Poor Grandma LOL Her smile shows how much she loved you all. I can hardly wait to see your new collections! Wahoo!!

Traci Kenworth said...

Sorry about your granny. I am so excited to read your blogging about transitions though, that is a weak area for me and I look forward to your tips!! You always inspire me to new heights writing wise. I know when I'm stuck on an idea, I can go here and find the right word, phrase, image to carry on. I don't mind recommending your blog at all, you all are great!!

Angela Ackerman said...

Thanks again everyone. Traci, you are so kind. We're happy to help, and always learn so much for others, it's good to pass it on. :)

Julie Hedlund said...

Angela,

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandmother, but I'm glad you shared some stories about her here. She sounds like a great lady and an inspiration.

And really, who could say no to jello with bananas? :-)

Deb said...

Oh Angela...thanks for sharing with us. I can't stop smiling now. What a wonderful lady. And I know you doing her proud!

Janet, said...

I loved reading about your grandma. They are special!

Killarney said...

I too had a granny who meant the world to me. I just blogged about her too in fact. I just wanted to thank you. I have been using your blog as a reference over the past year and it has helped me get 7 contracts with a publisher since July. Some pretty wonderful things are now happening for me including getting the rights to a Gowan song to use on my debut historical romance trailer. Thanks a million guys!
http://killarneysheffield.blogspot.com

Ricardo said...

Sounds like your grams was a very special person. Her job was complete if she was able to teach you and yours a thing or two... which it appears she did.

Fluff, huh? I'll have to try that one to see what kind of reaction I get! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...