Halloween, Critter Style

Let me tell you, having Critter around to celebrate Halloween was nothing short of EPIC. It all started when I found him trying to body surf across the candy bowl.

Well, the truth came out pretty quick: Critter has NEVER been trick-or-treating. Can you believe it?

So of course, I had to do something about it. And my kids. Together we dashed through the house, searching for suitable costumes. Hubby stood by and muttered something about us not being quite right in the head, but I'm sure I misheard.

There were some challenges. Like, erm, Critter's unique triangular shape.

First we went for the mummy look--we figured it would work awesome with his stiff walk. But after he was all good to go, my kids and I agreed...Critter looked too cute to be scary.

Maybe we were going about this all wrong! Critter's in Canada, after all, and so what's more Canadian than Hockey? So, we turned him into a Calgary Flame!

But as soon as Critter put on his jersey, he wanted to hit the ice, not go trick-or-treaking! And of course that would never do.

So, Darian, Jarod and I put our heads together and twisted our brains around the problem. Maybe we ate some candy. Okay, okay...a LOT of candy.

We wanted something unique. Something crazy. Something totally bizarre that only the Ackerman family would think of.

And then finally, WE HAD IT! The PERFECT costume, build for his shape, light weight and even better, something that comes straight from one of my books!


We turned Critter into a tree-shaped air freshener. Doesn't he look cute?

(So now you're wondering why I wrote a book about a tree-shaped air freshener, aren't you?)

Actually the book was about zombie janitors who wore air fresheners to keep them 'fresh'. Because you know, I'm weird like that.

Anyway, with his costume picked out, his loot bag at the ready, we hit the streets. As you can see, Critter got himself a pretty good haul.

Want to know more about CRITTER and his mission to promote creativity across the world and raise money for St. Jude's? Check out this Post!

Stay tuned for more Critter adventures!

34 comments:

lotusgirl said...

Go Critter. I love the mummy outfit, but he also made a great air freshener.

j.m. neeb said...

I normally tend to be more of a lurker -- I prefer to think of myself as a "reader," but I'm keeping in line with blog terminology -- than a commenter... but I had to break the trend to say that I loved this post. The odds are quite great that I'll come back and re-read it a couple of times during the course of the day for a quick smile. :)

(The pics of Critter are awesome.)

Patti said...

Personally, the flames jersey rocked.

Nandini said...

OMG, I LOVE the costume! Brilliant. Critter looks so cute!!

Angela Ackerman said...

Thanks everyone. Critter had a lot of fun on Halloween, let me tell you. Right now he's lying on the couch in a chocolate-infused coma. The guy knows how to party!

J.M., Thanks for delurking! I'm glad this post puts a grin on your face. That's what Critter's all about!

Angela

Lenny Lee! said...

hi miss angela! all i could say is critter rocks!
...smiles and hugs from lenny

Colene Murphy said...

Calgary!! WHOO!!!
Cute little critter!

Bish Denham said...

ROFL! That is just too precious! LOVE it!

And guess what the word verification is?

uncandys...

Stina Lindenblatt said...

ROFL. love the mummy and air freshener costumes. glad he had a great time. :D

(I laughed so hard my abs had quite the workout!)

Sierra Gardner said...

So, funny story. Before I checked out Ian's page I was imagining this massive life sized foam cow that needed a costume and went trick or treating with you. Maybe next year...?

Jessica Subject said...

Loved all the costumes! And I'm interested in reading about these zombie janitors. I know how much you love your zombies. Might make a perfect book to read with my daughter. Crossing fingers.

Holly Ruggiero said...

Great costume. I hope he (she?) got lots of candy.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love hockey, and the CALGARY FLAMES are my team! We have the Direct TV hockey package so that we can watch every game. Seriously - every game.

Critter was adorable and this post is too precious for words! :-)

C.R. Evers said...

OMG! I love the costumes. hysterical! :0) Awesome pictures!

Matthew Rush said...

Okay. I'm not going to pretend that I have any idea what this is about ... but I will say that I love it anyway.

Pat Tillett said...

I really liked the air freshener costume!
A very funny and creative post!

Becca Puglisi said...

You're such a great hostess, Angela. On Halloween, my daughter only made it to about 10 houses before her legs gave out, so we got seriously shorted on candy this year. If Critter had been visiting us, I probably would have dressed him as a candy corn and eaten him.

Melissa Gill said...

Angela you never fail to crack me up. All of those costumes were priceless. Plus I love critter.

Nicole Zoltack said...

Critter looks adorable!

Ian Sands said...

I'm just not so sure about that jersey...

Kelly said...

Hilarious! Love the costumes that Critter got to proudly wear!!!

Janice Green said...

I love all Critter's neat costumes! You did a great job of showing him a good time for Halloween.

Angela Cerrito said...

I think critter brings out the creative side of everyone!

Paul C said...

I like the Canadian slant to this endearing tale.

Philwebservices said...

keep on posting...

Grandpa said...

I never fancy critters, but love this one! And that tree air freshner too

Should I symphatise with the hubby...?:)

Jan Markley said...

Too funny! Especially the flames jersey!

Elaine AM Smith said...

Critter better be sharing some of his goodies with you; they'll be passed their sell-by date by the time he gets around to them all. ;)

Beth said...

Great costume, but I think I like the Flames jersey even better! You are so creative!

Christina Farley said...

Ha ha! Critter is just too funny. I hope he didn't get a tummy ache from all that candy. He's so cute.

Kristal Shaff said...

Great Selection, Critter!

Peeling Orange said...

He should've got this years best costume!!!

http://graspthesanity.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/GraspTheSanity

Susanne Drazic said...

I have to say I enjoyed all three costumes. Glad Critter's first Halloween was so much fun!

Jen Daiker said...

Oh my gosh so fun! I love all the photos!!! How cool!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...