Color Thesaurus Entry: Pink

Real World Comparisons:

Light:

Cancer ribbon
Pigs
Cotton candy
Strawberry ice cream
Grapefruit flesh
Cooked shrimp
Pepto bismol
Cream Soda
Elvis' Cadillac
Bubble gum
School erasers
Blush
Water lily
Cherry Blossoms
Pink Panther
Rose quartz
Amazon River Dolphin
Hostess Snowball

Medium:

Flamingo
Pink lemonade
Stargazer lily
Guava flesh
Cat tongue
Rare meat
Gum line
Pink eye
Ham
Earth worms
zits
Boils

Dark:

Dragon fruit
Rhubarb
Watermelon flesh
Sunrise/sunset
Fuchsia
Radishes
Feather boas
Pink topaz
Scratches
Scars & stretch marks

Shades of Pink:

Rose, Carnation, coral, puce, blush, fuchsia, salmon, albino, hot pink, rose, china pink,

Make every detail count

Colors are powerful descriptors, not fillers. Make sure that if you use a comparison or contrast to highlight a color, you choose the right one. Look at the setting and atmosphere you are working to create, then draw from the viewpoint character or narrator's history, education and past experiences to find the right fit.

A poor example:

Betty probed the boil at the back of Harvey's neck with her nail file. "I dunno, Harv," she said between snaps of gum. "It's pretty nasty, all right. You should go see Doc Barrows. Looks like there's a damn kid's eraser growin' out of your skin."

What's wrong with this example?

I think the tone is right, but boils are round, not rectangular, and probably the color would be a bit more intense.

A strong example:

Betty probed the boil at the back of Harvey's neck with her nail file. "I dunno, Harv," she said between snaps of gum. "It's pretty nasty, all right. You should go see Doc Barrows. Looks like there's a damn radish growing back here."

Why is this example better?

This gives a clearer image of a swollen growth and is higher up on the EW factor.


Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

Kelly said...

I hope Harv gets to the dr.! :)
Great pinkalicious entry!

Tara McClendon said...

Right away I thought of cotton candy, so I'm glad it made the list. Now I'm in the mood for the sweet confection and watching the sky turn to a sunset.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love this one, Angela - although you are right about the radish ew factor! :)

I like the softer blog color better - this look is great!

Bish Denham said...

I agree with Kelly and I think the lighter color background is GREAT! I hadn't realized the darker color was little harder to read.

Jan Rider Newman said...

What fun. I saw the boil and felt the pain.

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I'm so glad someone mentioned this blog on Absolute Write.

'Cause I love your blog, I've given you the Sunshine Award. Just visit my blog for more info.

Have a great weekend!

Angela said...

I was looking at the color list because I will be replacing this thesaurus with a new one here very soon and I wanted to make sure I'd gotten all the main colors. That's when I realized I'd forgotten PINK! GAH! I don't make a very good girl, do I?

Glad everyone likes this one, and thanks for commenting. And I'm glad the background works now--thanks for letting me know. I really wanted a change but it needs to be something functional as well.

And Stina, I'm glad you heard about me, too! Thank you so much for the award--I'm honored!

It's friday, people! FRIDAY! Is anyone else excited, or what? :-)

Jennifer M Nunes said...

Love the pink entry and loved the example! "a damn radich growing back there" ha ha!

Lisa_Gibson said...

I love pink! I'll have to check out purple too. What fun the list was.

lotusgirl said...

I even wearing pink as I read this entry.

Creative A said...

Hey Angela,

I gave you a blog award! It's halfway down the post

http://headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com/2010/02/events-of-february.html

-Mandy

Lindsay Currie said...

I love this post Angela. . .I have been struggling with different ways to describe the flushing of a character's cheeks for a while now. You are right - shade counts.
Pink = you discovered toilet paper hanging out of your pants
Crimson = you discovered you aren't wearing any pants

PJ Hoover said...

Sweet! Thanks, Angela!

littlebear said...

This reminds me of the pink ribbon campaign for cancer.

Angela said...

Thanks everyone for the kind words both on this post and the lightened blog color. It took me awhile to settle on a background and while I like the darker ones, my thesaurus posts are quite 'text intensive' (AKA verbose, lol) so I wanted it to be easy on the eyes.

Creative A, you are too good to me! Thanks so much for the blog award--I'll be right over to see it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...