Happy Holidays!


I've decided to go the route many others have and unplug this week of Christmas. But before I do, I promised I'd play along with a meme going around that I've been tagged with three or four times over now!

I don't usually do the memes, only because I try to keep the blog more resource-ish, but this one's more writing focused and shares some insight into what I write. It also gives me a chance to thank all the wonderful bloggers out there who have nominated this blog for awards over the year. You bring sunshine into my day each and every time you do this, so thank you!

So, here's a few things about the weird zombie-loving person behind The Bookshelf Muse.

1.) A-What's the last thing you wrote? B-What's the first thing you wrote that you still have?

A--A MG book called Wrath of a God. Sound bite: Osiris, God of the Dead attempts to take over a small town by gifting scarab tokens that hold the souls of Egyptian followers.

B-A story I wrote when I was four. It goes like this: I have a cat. It lives in a dish. I wish I lived in a dish. I know, brilliant, isn't it?

2) Write poetry?

I believe the world is a better place with Zombie Haikus in it.

3)Angsty poetry?


Yeah, sometimes Zombies feel angsty when they don't get their morning bowl of brain-ios.

4)Favorite genre of writing?

MG, something dark or twisty

5)Most annoying character you've ever created?

A Sasquatch named Saski. I shouldn't have gone there.

6) Best plot you've ever created?


Tough call. Maybe my CB where a monster kidnaps the MC's enemy from a bookstore and uses the Horror Room Door to take him to Frankenstein's office building in the Land of the Undead. The MC must follow and get him back, even though there's a bit of temptation to leave him there of course.

7) Coolest plot twist you've ever created?


A girl survives a drowning against Fate's wishes and the result is her brother's life will be forfeited to balance death's scales.

8) How often do you get writer's block?

When I revise for too long without writing a new project

9) Write fan fiction?


Ugh, no.

10) Do you type or write by hand?

Hunt and peck, baby.

11) Do you save everything you write?

I save every draft, every revision.

12) Do you ever go back to an idea after you've abandoned it?

Sometimes.

13)What's your favorite thing you've ever written?

Orbmaster

14) What's everyone else's favorite story you've written?

So many! The Thief of Always, The Lightning Thief, The Hunger Games, Before I Die, The Wheel of Time series, The Dark Tower Series, Swan Song, Imagica...

15)Ever written romance or angsty teen drama?

Semi angsty Teen Suspense...does that count?

16) What's your favorite setting for your characters?


A graveyard. Somewhere dark among the trees. A crypt. Somewhere non-typical for the type of story it is.

17) How many writing projects are you working on right now?


Editing three, one after the other.

18)Have you ever won an award for your writing?

When I was a kid, nothing fancy.

19) What are your five favorite words?

hemmed, scree, crackle, treble, clotted

20) What character have you created that is most like yourself?


Sabrina Milo. Her thoughts are unfiltered and 100% Mua-ha-haa. Just like me.

21) Where do you get your ideas for your characters?

A flash image, a sound, the way the light slants across the ground...it can be anything.

22)Do you ever write based on your dreams?

The world isn't ready for that.

23) Do you favor happy endings?


I favor endings where the character is a stronger person as a result of the trials they faced--these are the most satisfying.

24) Are you concerned with spelling and grammar as you write?


Once I edit. But I do break rules occasionally to fit a character or style if needed. If I do break em, it's knowingly, not ignorance.

25) Does music help you write?

Sometimes

26) Quote something you've written. Whatever pops in your head.


Okay, but it's first draft. It may mush your brain a bit.

Ma’at lifted her dark gaze, staring straight ahead. As she stepped backwards into the landscape, her curves flattened and the shimmering pleats of her dress dulled to a lifeless white. The scales hanging from her palms lost their dimensions and the feather at her temple returned to a mere brown plume wrought from an artist’s brush. Once again she was a painting, an ancient rendering of the Goddess Ma’at, and nothing more.
Well, there's a peek at what makes me tick. If you feel like adding your own answers, consider yourself tagged!

I hope everyone takes the time to enjoy family and friends and do all the seasonal things that make this such a special time of year. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and see you in the New Year!

~Angela
Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Thanks for playing, Angela - I loved reading your answers! Zombies and graveyards and crypts, oh my! :)

Have a wonderful holiday!

Matt said...

Thanks for everything you've given us Angela.

Merry Christmas!

Matt said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yunaleska said...

May Zombies always live on! Thanks for doing the meme - it was great to learn a bit more about you.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

Sometimes I wished I lived in a dish--a simple, contained life! Clotted is a most excellent word.
And I love Ma'at. You described her transformation so well. I would love to read that story.
Thanks for posting and a very happy holiday week to you.

Erica said...

Great Meme - Zombie lover. I love this... Osiris, God of the Dead attempts to take over a small town by gifting scarab tokens that hold the souls of Egyptian followers.

Sounds exciting!

Happy Holidays :o)

Angela said...

Shannon, it was fun!

Matt, thanks so much for your visit and blog. I enjoy both immensely!

Yuna, thanks. It was fun to share a bit of my writing processes and interests.

Tricia, yeah it may have been the best thing I've ever written. I mean after all, who DOESN'T want to live in a dish?

Erica, yes I like the story too--I have high hopes for it once I beat the crap out of it.

Happy holidays everyone!!

Mary Witzl said...

That was fun to read! I've been tagged for this too and I'm looking forward to doing it. (As soon as I mark about two dozen awful papers...)

And I LOVED 'The Thief of Always'!

Creative A said...

Love your answers. It's neat to learn more about you and your writing :) Sounds like so much fun, I just might try!

Bish Denham said...

Oh, I like getting that little bit of insight into you and your writing. Thanks for sharing, Merry Christmas to you and yours Angela.

M. Gray said...

Mmm!! I liked your favorite words!

C.R. Evers said...

LOL! Luv it! I also believe zombie haiku's make the world go 'round. :0)

Enjoy the New Year! :0)

Brown-Eyed Girl said...

Happy new year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...