Links from the Nano Frontlines


As most of you know, I'm all in for nano this year, working to get several partially finished manuscripts into the 'finished' category. During my time over at the Nano boards, I try to keep an eye out for links that I think would be a great help for writers. Today I'm going to focus on 'adoptable stuff'.

Over at the Nano site, people have gathered orphaned snippets and ideas to be adopted by other writers into threads on their forum. This is a treasure trove of ways to enrich your character, add to your setting or help you get creative through a plot snag you've run into. Here are just a few of the items up for adoption:

* Adopt a Plot
* Adopt a Plot (Part 2)
* Adopt a Subplot
* Adopt a Title
* Adopt an Opening Line
* Adopt a Villain Catchphrase
* Adopt an Ending
* Adopt a Line
* Adopt a Name
* Adopt a Character
* Adopt a Motive
* Adopt Some Dialogue
* Adopt a Quirk
* Adopt a Death
* Adopt a 'What If'
* Adopt a Romantic Line
* Adopt a Hobby
* Adopt a Plot Twist
* Adopt a Hero Catch Phrase
* Adopt a Weakness
* Adopt a Secret
* Adopt a Text Message
* Adopt a Place
* Adopt a Murder
* Adopt a Scene
* Adopt a Sensation
* Adopt an Explicative
* Adopt an IM
* Adopt an Ordeal
* Adopt a Job


There are others as well if you search through the Plot Doctoring forum, but this link will take you to the bulk of adoptables. There are also many other great discussions, resources and links at the nano site--I strongly recommend taking some time to have a look, even if you aren't doing Nanowrimo this year.

So, adopt away and happy writing!

9 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Whoooa! I can't get over all that stuff out there just waiting to be taken. I've got so much junk of my own, such a hodge podge of bits and pieces I've been dying to use -- and now you've gone and shown me that and I know that I just have to go and have a look. And maybe see what I just can't bear to leave behind.

I do exactly the same thing in thrift shops. I go to one with a bag full of old handbags and used kids' trousers and come home with a pewter candlestick and a bagful of sweaters.

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I've been spending so much time writing I haven't looked around the boards much. Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out for sure. Happy writing to you!

Deb said...

Wow, wow Angela!! Thanks so much for this-will for sure check it out..

Deb

PJ Hoover said...

What fun! Thanks for posting the link and list!

Yunaleska said...

Those are good tips for those who aren't doing nano :)

Miriam said...

This is such a good idea. I'm not participating in NaNoWriMo but I'll definitely check it out for any story ideas because my imagination has dried up right now.

Erica said...

Wow. Thanks for those links. This blog is such a plethora of helpful information!

Good Luck with your NaNo drafts :)

Ray Veen said...

I'm gonna take a couple quirks home to live with me. Thanks for the link, Angela.

Angela said...

I am so glad to share this. I have found so many great threads and helpful links on that site, I just had to share some. Look for more in upcoming posts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...