CTS Entry: Rectangle


Natural:

No true rectangles in nature

Man-made:

Brick
Magazines
Rooms of a house
Windows
Curtains
Books
Computer/TV monitors
Filing cabinets
TV trays
Paper
Postcards
Mattresses
Bathroom mirrors
Rugs
Towels
blankets
Sheets
Posters
Lumber
Wall plates for light switches
Doors
Envelopes
Shingles
iPod
Watch faces
Grandfather clocks
Dominoes
Walls
Billboards
Desks
Business cards
Paper money
Lighters
Sheet of paper
Erasers
Pack of gum
Granola bars
Chocolate bars
Cel phones
Keyboards
Calendars
Stick of gum
Flags
Satchels
Laptops
Truck box/bed
Garage pads
Football field
Soccer field
Bread loaf
Coffin
Cemetery plot
Headstone
Parking stalls

Synonyms: quadrangle, quadrilateral, oblong, four-sided figure

Describing a shape is best done in as few words as possible. Think of the shape as a camera snap shot--you want to capture the gist of what you mean as soon as possible so you can get on with other related (and more important) detail, and the action happening in the scene

A weak example:

I held my hands apart the span of a loaf of bread. "I'm telling you, Muriel--the rat I seen musta been this big!"

What's wrong with this example?

This example uses a rectangular object to indicate a size, not a shape.

A stronger example:

I flopped onto the mattress of my motel room, quickly discovering the thing was as comfortable as a truck bed filled with gravel.

Why does this work?

This shows us the shape in two places: the mattress itself and a truck bed of gravel, both familiar objects that don't require lots of explaining.

8 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

awesome list!

GutsyWriter said...

I have to thank you for offering me constant help with my book revisions. I didn't find the color RED, the other day. Need to check again. Thanks.

Robyn said...

Angela, all I can say is that mattress musta been moider!! Thanks for all of the help you give us writers. Your camera snap shot idea is clever. I'm going to try it in my story right now. :)

Bish Denham said...

The rectangle...they're everywhere, they're everywhere! :O

Angela said...

Thanks CR!

Gutsy & Robyn, thanks for telling us all of this is helpful to you. It's good to know we're on the right track. :-)

Bish, the rectangle is watching you...*twilight zone music*

Big Plain V said...

I love this! This is a cool thing! Do you do cool things like this often?

Cuz okay, you're bookmarked and followed. And later, I'm even gonna click the Facebook-link thing. (I'm at work now)

Angela said...

Big Plain V,

Your blog is awesome! Thanks for swinging by--I'm glad you like it here! :-)

Kate said...

I can just see you walking around making a list of all those rectangles! Like Bish said, they're everywhere.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...