Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Resigned

  • A mirthless smile
  • Giving comfort to another without much energy (rubbing their back, patting their shoulder)
  • Limp hands and arms
  • Staring off at nothing
  • A hanging head
  • A loose jaw
  • Feeling directionless
  • Becoming less verbal
  • Propping the cheek up with a fist
  • A dull or bleak look
  • Slowed responses to stimuli (loud noises, activity, a person speaking)
  • A desire to sleep or tune out
  • Depressed hunger and thirst
  • The head dipping to the chest
  • Silent tears
Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

6 comments:

Bish Denham said...

I think using sarcasm might also be used when one is resigned.

"Well, I may as well kill myself now and get it over with, because I'm dead meat when I get home as it is."

PJ Hoover said...

Thank you so much for doing these!

Angela said...

Good one, Bish!

You're welcome, PJ!

Marty said...

Just a comment that you need not post.

I love this "Emotion Thesaurus" - you could expand this concept into a full size book.

Angela said...

Actually, Marty...Becca and I are leaning in this direction, but will make a formal announcement next week...*wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

Thea Rauth said...

As a writer, this list is really helpful! I joined this blog and you are now in my quick access toolbar. Thank you.

Do you post ideas on Twitter? If so, please add me by my name (no spaces)and I will add you back! Thanks again! ;-)

---THEA RAUTH

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...