Emotion Thesaurus Addendum: Wariness

  • Stand-offishness
  • Cutting the eyes at the speaker
  • Increased pulse, adrenaline kicking in
  • Speaking in a soothing, placating voice
  • Snapping at people
  • Racing thoughts as you try to make sense of whatever it is
  • Approaching someone/something in a roundabout fashion
  • A strained voice
  • Flinching at touches
  • Pressing one's lips together
  • White knuckles
  • Rubbing at the forehead or temples
  • Gritting teeth
  • A jutting jaw
  • Pacing
Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

6 comments:

Parakeva said...

Did I suggest this one? I guess it doesn't matter, but I was just thinking about it the other day and it's an excellent coincidence! 'Cos I can't actually remember if I did or not...

Anyway, thank you once more!

PJ Hoover said...

As always, you guys rock!
Thanks again!

Keri Mikulski said...

Perfect timing.. I seriously just printed this list out for my next scene in my WIP. Thanks! :)

Angela said...

Glad this helps! :-)

Becca said...

Woot! So glad this is helping.

colbymarshall said...

Alas, this is the perfect post for me right now, because I have recently been wary of some folks in my life...now I have a thesaurus for it :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...