Finding Voice...Literally

*squee* I was out stumbling around the blogosphere and I found

THIS.

Let me break it down for you. Finding this discussion was the equivalent of going for a walk after a rain and having a leprechaun jump out and offer up a pot of gold. No chasing him for miles through the mud, no threats to hand it over or else, just BOOM, here's your gold and have a nice day.

This post offers some serious goodies for writers in the comment section, namely an open, frank conversation on what voice is, what it isn't and how to find it.

One commenter suggests that the writers' voices you enjoy most are likely the ones closest to your OWN voice, and the reason you're drawn to their work in the first place. Another talks about how important it is to not censor yourself, or hold back because of rules or the market or anything else--to write the same way you think. This reminded me a bit of the post I did eons ago on RISK.

If you struggle with voice at all, make the time to read this. I'll say it again, People--THE COMMENT SECTION IS PURE GOLD.

8 comments:

Merc said...

Yes, it's awesome! Thank you SO much for the link! :D

beth said...

So cool! I'm linking to this right now :)

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks for the link!

Bish Denham said...

Excellent stuff!

Voice is how we choose to string words together. It is an invisible glue, it is the space between words, it is what is not there, yet it permeates the page. Like gravity, it is the weakest force, yet it binds a story universe together and keeps it from flying off into chaos.

Angela said...

Thanks, everyone. I am so glad I found this--I think I'll be visiting often for inspiration.

Donna said...

Thanks for the link, Angela! There are some amazing points made not only in the post but, like you said, in the comments section. It made me realize why I've found myself to like YA so much--a lot of the voices in that genre are similar to mine.

Tricia said...

This has been removed now - is there anyone who saved it, or a new link?

Angela Ackerman said...

Sorry I've looked and it appears this blog has been removed by the owner. :(

Angela

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...