Setting Thesaurus: Bathroom (home)

Sight

Mirror, sink, toilet, bidet, bathtub, shower, shower curtain, faucet, fluffy rugs/toilet cover, tissue box, toilet paper, TP holder, towel bar, ceiling fan, soap dish/soap pump, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, bubble bath, bath bombs/bath beads, razors, tweezers, eyelash curler, make up, hand towels, towels, face cloths, bath brush, sea sponge, candles, fake plants, soap baskets, cutesy bathroom signs, bath toys, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shavers shaving cream, perfume, aftershave, creams, astringent, dental floss, mouthwash, rinse glass, toothbrush holder, shaving bristles scattered around the sink, rogue hair, grime, mascara smudges or fingerprints on the mirror, bath pillow, dried on toothpaste globs, black mildew, tile, a scale, toilet plunger, curling iron, blow dryer, soap spots on the mirror, rust, radio, nail files and clippers, band aids

Sounds

blow dryer motor, running water, whirr of the overhead fan, spritz of hairspray or perfume, shower spray, globs of soap dropping to the shower floor, toilet flushing, singing, radio, electric shaver, the rasp of a nail file or clippers, the tearing of toilet paper, heat from a radiator or furnace vent, teeth brushing, gargling, someone blowing their nose, shower curtain being pulled back, shower door opening or closing, drawers being opened, a hand going through a toiletry bag looking for tweezers or a make up kit, unwrapping a new bar of soap, tapping a toothbrush against the sink, whistling or humming

Smells

Hairspray, astringent, perfume, cologne, creams, nail polish remover, shampoo/conditioner, smells from shower gel, bubble bath or salts, bad breath, sweat, mildew, wet towels, toilet-related odors

Tastes

Tooth paste, accidentally getting a spray of hairspray in the mouth, bubbles, water, mouthwash, damp air

Touch

The sluice of water down the back, rinsing shampoo from the hair, the drag of a razor, the hot rush of a blow dryer, swiping cold mist from a mirror, damp air on the skin, smooth creams on dry skin, pain at nicking during a shave, the cold metal of tweezers or nail clippers, spongy carpet/mats on bare feet, steam against the skin, splashing water on the face, scrubbing heels with a pumice stone, the rasp of a nail file, dragging a mascara brush against lashes, the pinch of eyebrow plucking, soft towels against the skin, wet hair on shoulders

Helpful hints:

--The words you choose can convey atmosphere and mood.

Example 1: I opened the door, then gagged and slapped the fan on. It rattled to life, stirring the hairballs that littered the floor but doing nothing for the putrid air. Mildew spotted the tiles and discolored the sink. Chunks of something clung to the wall. I held my breath and decided that I didn't have to go after all.

Example 2: I turned off the tap but stopped short of grabbing the towel. It was fluffy and perfectly-hung, a line of lace fluttering along its hem. I pivoted, looking for something else. The wall shelves held doilies and potpourri, dried flowers, seashell-shaped soaps. Candlelight flickered in a vanilla-scented draft. A dimpled cherub smiled down on me from the mirror. I shuddered. When had Karen gotten so...domestic?

--Similes and metaphors create strong imagery when used sparingly.

Example 1: (Simile) The toilet choked and groaned before spewing its contents like a first-time contestant at a pie-eating contest.

Example 2: (Metaphor) Chrome shined and the mirrors sparkled--a thousand tiny smiles welcoming you in.

11 comments:

Marian said...

Some people have real plants in their bathrooms, too - ferns and others that don't mind a high-humidity, low-natural-light environment.

Or have I just been reading too many glossy magazines? One of those even had a picture of a window-shelf of plants grown in huge seashells.

Anothe evocative post, but it made me depressingly aware that I need to clean my bathroom.

C.R. Evers said...

your thoroughness amazes me! :0)

Way to go on another great list!

Angela said...

Marian: Yeah, it made me feel like I had to clean my bathroom too, lol.

C.R.: Thanks! Becca did the toilet-spewing example--what a great line!!

heyjude said...

Smells:
bleach and other toilet cleaning fluids (gives a swimming pool sort of smell)
minty smell of toothpaste or mouth wash

Marian: yup I've a friend whose bathroom is like a mini-greenhouse.

Kate said...

"Toilet related odours". LOL. I wondered how you'd get around that one!

PJ Hoover said...

I can honestly find a use for almost every single on of your settings! It doesn't have to be a long scene even. Just the minor details make all the difference!

Becca said...

I think I grossed myself out with that one.

Bish Denham said...

Of course...there's always a privy...

Pizza said...

Cool blog.

I like reading as well, I was wondering if you could take a look at my blog, maybe you could join it:

http://www.pizzasbookdiscussion.blogspot.com/

Thanks,

Pizza

Mary Witzl said...

Wow -- Example 1 is a pretty fair description of the staff toilets in my husband's school! Every time I pass by, I thank God I don't work there -- I'd absolutely have to give up coffee.

I'm off to clean my bathroom too...

Angela said...

Good ones, Jude!

Lol, Kate. Yeah...didn't want to go into TOO much detail on that one, yanno?

Thanks PJ!

Bish, my cheeks are flaming apple red! How could I forget the royal throne???

Thanks for visiting, Pizza!

Mary, your poor husband! Tho, being a guy he probably doesn't get as grossed out about is as we do...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...