Emotion Addendum: Doubt

  • Shuffling one's feet
  • Pulling or tugging at the clothes
  • Cold hands
  • A hesitating nod
  • Swallowing more than usual
  • Shrugging
  • Avoiding speaking or open agreement
  • Wincing as others agree or commend someone for their solution
  • Rubbing the back of the neck
  • Dry-washing one's hands
  • Shaking the head
  • Coughing as one agrees or supports a doubtful decision or stance
  • Sharing a look with an ally, raising eyebrows to convey feelings
  • Making alternative suggestions


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

6 comments:

Lady Glamis said...

I just have to say thank you for the Emotion Thesaurus. I think it's one of the coolest things I've ever used as a writer!!!

So THANK YOU!

PJ Hoover said...

I know I say it every week, but this is such a valuable resource!

Angela said...

Thank you Lady G & PJ. We appreciate your comments and are glad you guys continue to find this ET helpful. :)

Bish Denham said...

Yet another excellect post!

Natalie Hatch said...

oh I love this. Whenever I'm stuck with what my protag is doing I slip on over and go 'Oh yeah, that's it exactly'
Thanks for this girls.

Marian said...

Agree with Natalie. My characters were previously confined to raking their hair back from their faces (because I do that a lot), shrugging and biting their lips. Now they have a lot more gestures and behavior at their disposal! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...