Emotion Thesaurus: Worry

  • Bouncing or tapping feet
  • Pulling at one's hair
  • Second-guessing oneself
  • Unwillingness to leave a certain place (telephone, house, car)
  • Sleeplessness
  • Circles under the eyes
  • A need for control
  • Illogical fears
  • Panic attacks
  • Repeatedly rubbing at the face
  • Reading into things, over-analyzing
  • Stooped posture
  • A strained or faked smile
  • Chewing on a knuckle
  • A gaze that flits around the room, never settling on a person or object for long


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

10 comments:

Bish Denham said...

This is also a good list of discriptions for Nervousness and/or being On Edge.

PJ Hoover said...

I never want the emotions to go away!

Lapillus said...

This will be a good one for me. My characters always seem to be wringing their hands when they are anxious or worried. Time to branch out!

Kelly said...

This is great!
When I hear the word, "worry", I think of the Mad Magazine guy (Alfred E. Something...)saying, "Who me, worry?"

Nora MacFarlane said...

FYI - Love your site. I blogged about you today. You've been tagged for the Awesome Blog Award!

Angela said...

Bish, I absolutely agree!

Thanks PJ!

Lapillus, this one is very helpful to me as well. I use worry a lot in my own writing.

Kelly, you brought back so many memories mentioning Mad Magazine! OMG, I loved it so much!


Nora, thank you so much! I feel so lucky to know so many great fellow bloggers. I can't believe I didn't get into blogging sooner!

Becca said...

Thanks, Kathy, for suggesting 'worry' as an ET topic!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the emotion thesaurus. It's helped me so much with my writing. Now my descriptions, and especially the way I describe my characters' emotions, has improved heaps. Thanks for sharing all of this!

Julie Musil said...

I thought you'd like to know I needed another action for "worry" and turned to your thesaurus. Found just what I needed...thanks!

Robert said...

Kelly, his last name was Neuman (I think I speeled that correctly). I'll have to check with "the usual group of idiots" to be sure though...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...