Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Hopefulness

  • A flutter in the belly
  • A brightened countenance
  • A jolt through the body
  • Waving/flapping the hands
  • Bouncing on the balls of one's feet
  • Quivering breaths
  • A trembling voice
  • Refusing to consider, speak of, or listen to any negative possibilities
  • Rapid swallowing and nodding
  • Talking under the breath to oneself about the best outcome
  • Rapt, positive attention on a task or person involved
  • Hands clasped in prayer, pressed to the lips, eyes closed
  • Arms clutching one's sides while moving about, showing cautious hope
  • Glancing upward and exhaling
  • The gaze darting to a person or object that symbolizes hope (a friend in the know, the phone)
Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

4 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Thanks again for another great entry! Love you gals!

Kelly said...

I feel a flutter in my belly when I see an email from someone I submitted to....There's always hope!

Mary Witzl said...

Once again, I think you've gotten them all!

I'll come back the next time I need some signs of hope. (You'll see me again very soon...)

Angela said...

Thanks Pj and Mary! Kelly, I get a flutter to. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...