Emotion Thesaurus Addendum: Loneliness

  • People watching, craving contact (visiting a park to feed birds, sitting on the porch)
  • Wearing comfort clothes
  • Using books, the Internet, or TV to generate a feeling of interaction
  • An expression that crumples when people show affection for one another
  • A pain in the chest
  • A downcast gaze
  • Tears, sadness, depression
  • Giving an abnormal amount of love and attention to someone or something (daily visits to a neighbor, treating a pet like a baby)
  • Bingeing (overeating, hoarding, buying unnecessary items)
  • Frequently calling family or friends
  • A willingness to talk to strangers just to interact--at the grocery, in the library, etc.
  • A disinterest in one's appearance or an abnormal interest in one's appearance
  • Slumped shoulders, limp posture

Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

7 comments:

Jill Wheeler said...

I hope that you're not feeling lonely today. :/

Thanks for visiting my blog!

PJ Hoover said...

Funny emotion for Thanksgiving! I hope there was little loneliness in the world yesterday!

Laura said...

Great stuff here. Thanks!

Angela said...

LOL Jill and PJ--this is my bad. I was just following my list in order, not really thinking about what day it came up on. Being Canadian, I had my Turkey day a month ago so I just didn't clue in.

Thanks for stopping in Laura!

Natalie Hatch said...

Thanks for this one, my heroine is going through this right now and I couldn't describe how she was physically coping... now I can!

dumpedbyahallucination said...

I've just been browsing around because I just found it, and this site is amazing! I know you get told it a lot but praise is praise, right? :)

I felt so lonely myself reading this list. I'm just. Well. This site is excellent. That's all.

Suzy x

Angela said...

Glad it helps, Nat! And welcome, dumpedbyahallucination!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...