Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Uncertainty

·A delayed response
·A head tilt and pause
·A noncommittal answer: Maybe, or We'll see
·Dragging footsteps
·Flapping your hand at someone, dismissing them or their idea
·A quick widening of the eyes, either at the person proposing the idea or to another person involved
·Rubbing the back of the neck without making eye contact
·Biting or chewing on the lip
·Hmming and Hawing
·A purposeful shiver or shudder
·A heavy sigh
·Walking away
·A jutting chin
·Pouting
·A dark, silent look


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

8 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Really, another great entry! Hope you gals have a great weekend!

Angela said...

Thanks PJ--you too!

Bish Denham said...

How do you do it? Does it keep you awake nights thinking of all these things? So good!

fairchild said...

I just want to say thank you so much for this wonderful thesaurus!! It is truly invaluable, and you gals are amazing.

Angela said...

Bish-- I keep zombies in the basement, and force them to come up with actions each week. Upon complying, I throw them a person who has sent Becca or I a rejection letter as a reward.

Fairchild--thanks for popping in to say hi! We're glad the thesaurus is doing it's job!

Becky said...

I love your sight. When I'm stuck creatively, it gives me a boost, and not always how I might expect.

gigi said...

This site has just saved my life! Emotions can be so hard to put into words sometimes. Thank you so much for the wonderful work you both do. I am, i believe, your newest faithful follower <3. Now, for sure, it will be a lot easier to keep developing my book :)

Becca Puglisi said...

We're so glad you're finding something useful here, Gigi. Thanks for following!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...