Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Overwhelmed

  • Light-headedness
  • Letting out an uncontrollable cry, sob, or whimper
  • Dropping something, spilling something (slopping tea, dishes chattering together as you carry them)
  • Becoming angry or argumentative
  • Mental numbness
  • A glassy stare, a glazed look
  • Retreating inward
  • Wanting/needing to be alone
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Loss of appetite
  • Assuming the fetal position
  • Crumpling onto the floor
  • Waving someone away (hand flapping)
  • Putting the hands over the ears
  • Giving oneself over to tears through anguish or grief


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

6 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

Were you spying on me last week?

This is a great one!

Angela said...

Last week? I spy on you 24-7!

LOL

Kelly said...

Another great entry, Angela!
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I noticed you like Life is Beautiful by Sixx Am from your profile. THe video on my blog (Brides of Destruction)is by a band founded by Nikki Sixx! One of my recent Tune for Tuesday blog entries also was by Sixx Am. Love your taste in music!

colbymarshall said...

I agree with pj...are you watching me? ;-) Good post-- keep up the good work!

Rachel Burton said...

Wow. How long does it take you to come up with all these? This is an awesome resource for writers. Thanks for your work!

Angela said...

No Kelly, YOU have good taste in music!!

Colby, I watch everyone. I'm like Eagle Eye!

Thanks Rachel. It helps me, too, because it really forces me to think out actions.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...