Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Indifference

  • A half-hearted shrug
  • A limp lift of the hand, palm up in a So? gesture
  • Loss of eye contact
  • Shoving one's hands in one's pockets
  • Looking down or away
  • A blank expression
  • Changing the topic instead of answering
  • Making a lame excuse to leave
  • Using a monotone voice
  • Non-expressive body language (inanimate, loose, lacking energy)
  • Yawning
  • "Bored" actions (slumping in a seat during class, tapping a pencil against a desk, examining one's nails)
  • "Sleepy" eyes, half-lidded


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

6 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

ohhh good one! I'll be using this one for sure!

You guys are the greatest!

Christy

PJ Hoover said...

LOVE THESE!

Angela said...

This one was tough. If anyone can think of more, feel free to post them in the comments. :-)

Kelly said...

I think I'll have more ideas for you when my kids turn into teens
:0). Actually, I think I've seen some of this behavior already!
Great entry!

Marian said...

I'd post more ideas, but I feel sort of indifferent. :)

Seriously, though, another way I'd show I was indifferent to something would be to parrot back whatever the other person said, adding nothing of my own to the conversation.

"I was really upset when you didn't show up yesterday."
"So you were really upset?"
"Yes, because you said you'd meet me."
"Yes, I said I'd meet you."

Jaliya said...

Indifference = meticulous contempt.

Your site is a gem! Whee -- what fun for word nerds!

Thank you!

:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...