· Holding the head in the hands
· Blank eyes that are devoid of hope
· Short, clipped answers: "Fine." "No." "Who cares."
· An emotionless tone
· Crying, often accompanied by silence
· Not responding to others' attempts at encouragement
· A thickness in the throat
· A voice that cracks
· A slow shake of the head
· Disconnecting from others
· Not responding to aggression or verbal attacks
· Losing all enjoyment in everyday things
· An unkempt appearance
· Looking worn, appearing older as a result of the current situation
Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar.