No, I'm Not Dead

It's true. I'm not dead. Just recovering from two months of near-constant craziness. First came the birth of my beautiful daughter, now two months old. Pics:



Calm, restful Allegra














Pensive, slightly-amused Allegra










Everyone knows how wonderful and terrifying the first months with a newborn are. Luckily, our baby is pretty easy. She sleeps dutifully at night, getting up twice to eat and going right back to sleep afterwards. During the day, she rarely cries without a reason. In other words, we totally lucked out. I've heard the horror stories—why do people choose to share their nightmares AFTER you get pregnant, when it's too late??—and we definitely got lucky with this one.

When she was four weeks old, things were going so well that we decided to shake things up and move. True--I was insane to try this with a newborn, but it had to be done. If you've hung around The Bookshelf long enough, you've heard me complain about my old house (see post on Becca's Nerdery) and neighborhood. Our new house is on an acre lot with tons of trees and greenery. I can no longer spit on my neighbor's house, a state of affairs we both find appealing. Lots of people in this area have horses and other livestock, which I think is awesome; on a still morning, you can hear donkeys braying from one street over.

The one bad thing about moving to the sticks is there's only one hi-speed internet provider for the area. Apparently, this company is aware of its monopoly status because it took them four weeks to hook up our internet. They didn't seem to think this was a big deal. No big deal. No TV or internet for four weeks WITH a newborn to rock and feed most of the day, and having no TV or internet is no big deal. I'm not normally a vengeful person, but I considered gifting the downtown service station with a barrage of Flaming Bags o' Poo (courtesy of the donkeys). Now that I have TV and internet, though, I have better things to do.

So…that's why I've been awol lately. Baby, move, crappy internet service provider. But I'm back now and ready to rock (both figuratively and literally). See you all around the blog!

17 comments:

Angela said...

Becca, Becca, Becca. Don't you know that God gives you the easiest one first? *cheeky grin*

Thanks for sharing more photos. I was wondering how my little niecelet was doing! You're house looks wonderful, and the scenery should certainly inspire some great writing!

Mary Witzl said...

What a beautiful baby!

And as for the nightmare stories, I am always in a quandary whether to tell or not to tell -- before OR after. If people ask, I always give them a gentle, watered-down version. No one is ever truly ready for kids!

And Angela is SO right. God gives you the easy one first. Shows God has a sense of humor and a strong desire to keep the human race going. By the way, our second baby was marvelously placid. She's 13 now, and generally placid again, but I'm not saying what happened during the intervening 12 years...

courtney said...

Aw! Motherhood's a full time job--glad it's going a little easier than it could be!! Adorable pics!

And that you have the internet... FOUR WEEKS?! Yikes!

Becca said...

It was Hell, I tell you...

mary, you've given me hope :).

Unhinged said...

I love the name Allegra. It reminds me the angelic character in Victoria Holt's SHIVERING SANDS. I was fascinated with Allegra. (Have you ever read that story?)

And the house. All that grass. And space. I am so jealous.

Welcome back to the WWW, my dear.

Natalie said...

Beautiful house, beautiful baby, AND high speed internet?? You've got it all, Becca. Congratulations! :-)

Vijaya said...

Thanks for posting the adorable baby pictures. They change so quickly ... wicked grin.

Happy times are here ... you already sound quite settled in your lovely new home.

colbymarshall said...

OMG, she is precious--she looks like a porcelain doll! Beautiful!

Marian said...

Allegra is such a pretty name, and the baby looks adorable. Congratulations!

Susan Sandmore said...

Way sweet! She's like . . . a real person and everything (I mean--she's got some major personality for a 2 month old--look at those eyes!). Congrats and lots of hugs!

Just_Me said...

Becca, don't listen to the horror stories. Both my children were angels until they realized they could move on their own. Now I just wish they were old enough for school!

Congragulations on the new baby, the new house, and defeating the evil ISP provider.

LindaBudz said...

Becca, thanks for stopping by my blog ... glad you liked my post. Though I guess after what you've just been through (four week? shudder!), I guess any remotely humorous post would seem hysterical. Glad I could help you get your fix.

Allegra is gorgeous.

Becca said...

Unhinged, I don't think I've read that one, though I did go on a Victoria Holt kick at one point. I'll have to check it out.

Just me, that was good to know until I remembered that I'm planning on homeschooling. So I don't have that break to look forward to. I can just hope that her 'easy' phase will last until she's old enough to drive and I can kick her out for a few hours ;).

Pema said...

Congrats on the beautiful not-much-crying baby! ;) They do resemble angels when they're sleeping.

Hope you'll find time for writing in between! I usually have to write a schedule when something hectic is going on in my life, just to make sure everything gets done.

Tabitha said...

She's beautiful, Becca!

And don't listen to Angela (sorry Angela!). My easy baby came second. I *thought* I had an easy baby until the second one came around, and then I realized just how difficult my first on was. :)

Glad things have sorted out for you, and look forward to future posts!

Kimberlee ONeill said...

She's adorable! I love the pensive yet slightly amused look. The new house looks amazing, congrats!

Becca said...

Thanks, girls!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...