Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Panic


• Uncontrolled shaking
• Risking a different or lesser danger in order to escape
• Holding oneself tight (wrapping the arms around oneself to make smaller)
• High tolerance to pain, not feeling/noticing injuries
• Increased stength, stamina
• Grabbing onto someone and refusing to let go
• Claustrophobia
• Anxiety attacks, pain in the chest, lungs or throat
• Clutching at the throat or chest
• Gasping for air
• A harried, wild appearance
• Thoughts that turn to death or the worst possible outcome
• Copious sweating
• Backing away in quick jerky steps
• Passing out from a stress overload, lack of oxygen, or both


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 

3 comments:

Fiona said...

Yay! :D Thanks I've been wanting this one.

Julie Musil said...

Just wanted to tell you awesome ladies that I'm revising my ms, and during the first draft I have (see bookshelf muse) whenever I couldn't figure out how to show an emotion. So now I'm going through it again and using your awesome resource. I just used "panic." Thanks so much!

Becca Puglisi said...

You're so awesome, Julie. Thanks for the pick-me-up! I hope the entries are actually helping, lol.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...