Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Frustration

· Making fists
· Waving a hand, "talking" with the hands
· Interrupted or erratic strides
· A need to ask questions, rehash information
· Tightness in the chest
· Speaking through one's teeth with forced restraint
· Speaking without thought, often leading to regret
· A harried appearance, sweating
· Pleading, bargaining
· Running one's hands through the hair
· Scrunching up one's face and then releasing, trying to regain calm
· Clumsiness (slopping coffee, knocking something over, breaking something due to being rushed)
· Groaning
· Restlessness, an inability to sleep or relax
· Replaying a scene or event over and over in one's mind, obsessing over it
· Kicking at something (a pop can on the sidewalk, a flower, a pebble, a chair)
· Having a tantrum (screaming, body flung down on the floor, kicking, crying)


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 


9 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

Great list! I'll be visiting this one a lot!

Christy

Lapillus said...

I linked over from AW. These lists are great! : ) I'm sure I'll be visiting them from time to time.

Pema said...

As always, thank you again for your emotion thesaurus entries - you make it so easy to "show, not tell". ;)

Mary Witzl said...

This is mine -- I get so frustrated so often, especially when I'm writing! Flared nostrils and lips pursed firmly together -- don't forget that one!

Angela said...

Thanks so much guys! I think frustration is probably the biggest emotion I tend to use in writing.

Cousin Bette said...

I looked at this list and lo and behold a picture of my day today!

Cedric J. Sims said...

for the past few months i've been referring back to this site over and over for new ideas and tips about writing. this blog was the reason i started my blog

Becca Puglisi said...

So glad it's coming in useful, Cedric. Welcome!

flightlesskiwi said...

Thank you so much for creating this blog! I'm working on my first novel, and often have trouble thinking of just the right ways to portray the emotions of my characters. Therefore I refer to your blog every time I write.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...