Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Contentment

· Relaxed posture
· Slow easy breathing
· Smiling
· A warm voice, a caring tone
· Crossing the arms over the chest
· Eyes half-closed, a lidded look of satisfaction
· A feeling of connection to life
· Lacing the fingers behind the head
· A wide stance, open demeanor
· Slack muscles, loose limbs, no big or fast movements
· Rolling the neck back and forth and smiling
· (Guys) legs akimbo when sitting, taking up more space than usual
· Looping one's thumbs into the front pockets while standing
· An easy walk, unhurried
· A wandering gaze, taking in random things
· A satisfied sigh


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 


6 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

Oh, I could use some of this!

I think I'll take a deep, satisfied breath and go sit in the garden.

Angela said...

Sit in the garden? *cries* It's pouring rain here!

Marian said...

I used to wonder why guys sat like that, with their legs akimbo. Finally I decided it might have something to do with virility - you know, the way superheroes are often drawn standing with their legs apart, thumbs tucked into their belts in such a way as to subtly emphasize the crotch region? It didn't occur to me that it could be a sign of simple relaxation as well. Me with my mind in the gutter. :)

Mary Witzl said...

We had at least one month of solid rain; everything was mossy or moldy and every slug in the garden was so fat I could hardly stand it. Now we finally have sun and even though I'm not a sun worshipper, I'm content.

Sadly, we also have biting insects...

beth said...

Great list! Thanks!

Angela said...

That's a good point tho, Marian--they way superheros and the like are shown, it's kind of, "Look at me--I'm a MAN!"

Sadly it is still raining here...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...