Kickin' it in Cabo...

Well, as computer challenged as I am, I finally managed to transfer my pics from my recent Mexico trip onto the computer. I absolutely love it when others share their photos of different places on their blogs, so I hope everyone will forgive my little detour here from all things writing to show some of my favorite shots!



We had a great time snorkelling, sailing and taking a zip line through a desert canyon. Our resort was very close to Cabo's senic 'Arch'



The waves in this part of Mexico were beautiful to watch, but dangerous as well. A 14 footer came in on one of the days we were there and wiped out a beach wedding as well as local vendors.



One of my favorite excursions was a sunset cruise we took on the Sunderland, one of 6 historical tall ships from the 1800's still able to sail as it was meant to--without the aid of modern engines. It was such a thrill to watch a crew of six men hoist sails and scurry through the rigging, but most of all to listen to the creak of the mast and the flutter of canvas. I took a ton of pictures and tried to remember all the 'sailing lingo' for the next pirate book I write.



On our way back we spotted another pirate ship, this one made for a movie with Gina Davis in it. Of course, the sails are furled, because it was motorized, and as our Captain fondly said, is a 'Fake Pirate Ship.' Still, a beautiful picture, I think!



We also visited 'Lover's Beach', risking life and limb to get there by Water Taxi (the powerful waves made getting into and out of the taxis quite a challenge) but found it well worth the trip. Full if cacti and mesmerizing sandstone formations caused by the sea and the wind, hubby and I got some great shots.



We also saw a sea lion colony, with one posing for us, Top Model style:



Finally, I'll end with one of my favorites, a strange tree that looked like a gigantic ginger root. I have a thing for trees, especially unusual ones, and I collect pictures wherever I go.

We later learned that this tree is known as a 'paper tree' and the thin bark was used by the Mayans as paper.

It was a fantastic trip--I wish I had a good photo of the two humpback whales we came across on our snorkelling trip. Two of the crew of our ship jumped out and swam with them, holding onto their fins and rubbing their sides. That's something you don't see every day!

12 comments:

Amy Addison said...

Fabulous pictues. My sister's wedding was in Cabo this summer, but I didn't take a camera with me...dumb, I know. The cruise sounds fabulous.

Becca said...

Wow. You've got a knack for pictures, Angela. Those are beautiful. It looks like you had a great time.

Was I wrong to snicker at the beach wedding that got washed out? Totally un-compassionate of me, I know, but still...

WordWrangler said...

These are absolutely beautiful. They look like professional pics. THanks for sharing!!

Tabitha said...

Gorgeous pictures!! Makes me wish I'd been there. :)

courtney said...

Oh, WOW. Those pictures are incredible. Wow, wow, wow. I wish I was there.

Mary Witzl said...

Lovely pictures, and since I'm also computer-challenged and have only just learned how to post photographs, I commend you on acquiring this skill!

I also love beautifully-shaped trees, and that ginger-root tree would definitely be something I'd photograph. There is a beautifully gnarled tree trunk in this neighborhood, and one day I told the owner how much I admired it. She looked at me as though I were insane and told me that she was hoping to have it cut down as soon as possible. Sigh.

Kate said...

That first photo is really powerful, Angela. But you wouldn't get me within a mile of those waves.

Angela said...

The setting was so georgous there was no skill involved with these photos.

Mary, you'll have to capture that tree on film before your neighbor cuts it down! *cries*

Angela said...

Ohhhh... beautiful!

What a wonderful vacation. You took some great pics!

Laurie said...

What great shots! Looks like that was some vacation.

Is that tree a contorted hazelnut?

Connie Clark said...

We have plans to go there in two years and hang out with Sammy Hagar at Cabo Wabo his club. It looks like a beautiful place, no wonder my husband wants to just go live on the beach! Me....well, I gotta have a bed, beach or no beach. I'm looking forward to our trip, and seeing your photos really have wanting to go sooner!

Laurie Ashton said...

Great pictures. I think the one of your paper tree is going to have to make it into one of my stories. Not the actual picture, of course, but the imagery - it's way cool!

Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...