Various Bits of Randomness

I'm feeling a bit random today, so here are some things that may or may not have anything to do with the writing world.

This is my German shepherd. Her name is Frauelein. Incredibly clever, yes I know. She is eight years old and single, but is currently too busy to pursue a doggy relationship. What is she so busy doing, you ask? Sleeping; chasing ducks, which, thank God, she's too slow to catch; barking at anyone/thing (real or imagined) that passes our house; retrieving her daily pills from her food dish and depositing them on the carpet; and burping. Yes, burping. She takes after Al. She's also the loudest breather on the planet, making it nearly impossible for us to sleep in the same room—me and Frauelein, not me and Al. Despite the vampire eyes, which I can't seem to get rid of with my handy-dandy red-eye camera feature, she's the sweetest dog ever.



I recently read this very entertaining MG book: Whittington, by Alan Armstrong. It's a story-within-a-story about Dick Whittington and his cat. If you don't know that old tale, well, try reading this one. However, what intrigues me most about this book is the guy on the cover. A rendering of the original Dick Whittington? Or a posed picture starring Viggo Mortensen? Did Viggo perhaps get his start in children's literature? Did he foolishly think that kid lit was an easy score and he could "get rich quick" by entering the affluent world of children's books? How long, do you think, before he threw in the towel and opted for the easier road to Hollywood? I'm sorry, Angela, but the world deserves to know the truth. Viggo's dirty little secret is out.

Finally, and most importantly, Al and I learned that we are having a little girl! We're very excited, though we would've been happy either way. We have a name picked out, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't put your kids' names on the internet. I have to call her something on this blog, so I've made a decision. Our last name is Puglisi, which is Italian for "little fish". Charming. So Minnow, I think, is an appropriate internet handle for our little tadpole.

7 comments:

courtney said...

Oh! Your dog is beautiful. She sounds like a sweetheart.

And congratulations!! Minnow is a very awesome name to use in the blog. :)

Angela said...

I've never seen an all white GS before--beautiful. And I an soooo stoked about being a Virtual Auntie! I'll be the cool, eccentric writerly one (who will teach her everything she needs to know to wrap Ma and Pa around her little finger...mwaahaa!)

Becca said...

Frauelein thanks you for the compliments. And Angela, I'll be keeping a close eye on your Auntie shenanigans...

Susan Sandmore said...

Hooray for little Minnow! And that cover did look very Viggo. Also, your doggy sounds very smart!

Angela said...

Random bit of knowledge: I named my 2008 Toyota Highlander Viggo. Now I can ligitimately say, 'Viggo and I are going for a drive' or 'I'm taking Viggo to the movie.'

Mwahaha!

Just_Me said...

Congragulations on your own bundle of Small and Pink! That's so exciting! First babies are such a learning experience. If you're stocking baby books I recommend "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer" and "What to Expect the First Year"

Best advice in the world: Sleep when baby sleeps. The dishes will wait. The dog can go in the yard. The house will be just as messing (but only half as disheartening) when you wake up. And writing can be done during feeding time (boppy pillow and a blanket :) .

Becca said...

Ooo! Good advice, thank you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...