Earth Hour

Did anyone else out there participate in Earth Hour?

After turning off all the lights, computers, TV, etc, my family and I sat in the living room by candlight and played Battleship. Better yet, when Earth Hour was over, the family decided to keep the power off for the rest of the night, and just enjoy one another's company.

For those who are wondering what the heck I'm talking about, Earth Hour is a global activity that encourages everyone to turn off their lights for one hour in order to create more awareness about our ecological footprints and climate change. You can find out more about Earth Hour here: http://www11.earthhourus.org/

I'd love to hear what you did during Earth Hour! Tell us about it... :-)

5 comments:

courtney said...

We did Earth Hour over here! And then we drove around to see who else had participated (I also wanted to see if I could get some photos)--particularly the local politicians. :) It was nice. Our pets weren't too crazy about it, but.

Angela said...

Yeah it was hard on our pets too. My dog was busily munching on a rawhide bone next to the table leg and at some point mistook the wooden leg for her bone...ergo there was some staining and sanding to do the next day. Plus, we had to use a candle to see the damage and yep, got wax on the carpet. RED candlewax.

It was an Earth Hour to remember. We'll be better prepared next year, lol...

Becca said...

Sadly, I had no idea. But then, I don't watch the news and have no school-age kids to keep me aware of what goes on in the world...

I did somehow manage, while trying to pack up the office, to disconnect our DSL all day yesterday. Does that count?

Donna said...

I had no idea about it until I say it on the news when I was in San Francisco. According to their little map, it was certainly a more major city thing and not widely known about it. I was out and about that night and I didn't notice any difference although I think the lights when out on the bridges in the city. I can't be sure.

Angela said...

Yes, I hadn't heard about it until the day before (I live in a major city in Canada). I think some cities really got into it, and some didn't. After Earth hour was over, the stats for Calgary showed that our energy consumption was actualyy higher than usual, but they were attributing it to the cold weather and the fact that our Calgary Flames were hosting a hockey game at the Saddledome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...