Emotion Thesaurus Entry: Disappointment

· Chin dipping to the chest
· Lips pressing tight, eyes focusing inward
· Looking up with hands raised in the ‘why me?’ position
· Collapsing onto a chair or bench
· Weaving slightly
· Avoiding other peoples' eyes, going stone-faced
· Eyes tearing up
· Eyes closing, squeezing shut for a moment
· A wincing, pained expression
· Looking around in confusion
· Attempting to hide (assuming the fetal position, covering the head with the arms)
· Clutching at oneself (gripping elbows, rubbing arms, clenching hands)
· A stomach that drops, a sudden feeling of nausea
· Pressing a hand to the abdomen
· Anger or violence (cursing loudly, hitting something, a tense walk in a small circle)


Good news! This sample has been expanded and streamlined into book form! The full list of physical, internal, and mental cues for this and 74 other emotions can be found in The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide to Character Expression, available for purchase at AmazonBarnes & NobleiTunes, and Smashwords. The PDF is also downloadable via the Paypal button in the sidebar. 


2 comments:

Luc2 said...

Great list again, Muses.
Thanks!

Mary Witzl said...

Ooh -- I should have come here when I was rewriting chapter fourteen last week? They really help!

Whenever I try to picture how characters look when feeling certain emotions, I am told that I make weird noises and contort my facial expressions. It's probably better for me to get my writing done while the kids are out of the house...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...